Hi, my name is Daniel Watson.
I’m your Knox County Board of Education member for District 3.
Raised primarily by single mothers, my wife, Mandy, and I felt called to stand in the gap with mother-led families across our community who often have felt alone and trapped by cycles of trauma and poverty. In 2007 we launched The Restoration House, a restorative community where we live with 22 low-income mothers-led families with over 50 children. Over the past 12 years we have helped family after family change their future through supportive housing, team mentoring, family advocacy, and youth development.
I now feel called to stand in the gap for more students and families across our community by helping advance our local public education system.
As a first-generation college graduate, I know the incredible opportunities that come through education, but for far too many of our young people the doors of opportunity are locked before they ever have the chance to open them. I am for every student, believing that given the right tools, every child has the capacity to learn and be successful. Rooted in this belief, I want to ensure there is a culture in our public education system where we are focused on providing an environment of excellence for every child.
I am committed to continuing to work hard for the students in our community. Taking the lessons I’ve learned advocating with low-income mother-led families, I plan to work to ensure every student across District 3, and Knox County as a whole, has access to the very best education possible.
• Leadership that values every voice and focuses on excellence for every student
• Eliminate the achievement gap by continually addressing the disparities in education
• Ensure parents are viewed as valuable partners in education, whose voices matter
• Support teachers in every way to educate today’s students for tomorrow’s workforce
• Ensure financial decisions are made responsibly and align with the core values of Knox County Schools